A year ago: THE history



FOR many, politics would be the topic of interest - a year after we witnessed the historical change of government.

In the last three elections, I was part of the political machinery, from tie and hang flags, to then become a counting head at the polling station.

GE14, however, gave me a different experience. Let me had a different perspective. Professionally, as a reporter. It would be a major event in my diary.

Such a nervous awaiting moments that we could feel, at the Secret Recipe Mont Kiara, the night before the polling day.

Me, Remy Younes, Shahira and Alifah.

None of us, I think can expect the outcome of tomorrow. What we do know that it could be a historical day. Either there would be changes in the government, or not. It would be the first time for almost of us covering the general election. 

I could feel, it would be a different "air" that I would breathe in the next 24 hours. I just do not know what would be.

Then, come the next morning, that I will have to carry my personal duty first. Sending the pregnant mom to Semenyih for voting.

Editor, Mr Azlan already told us to clock in at 4.00pm. We were also been asked to snap as many photos we could at our polling stations to be flashed on twitter.

The senior writer, Prem will be ready at PWTC, KL tonight, waiting for the incumbent government press conference.

Alifah, who is also quite a senior reporter and I will be covering Pakatan Harapan at Sheraton Hotel, PJ. Our photo guy will be Afif Abd Halim.

Both three of us went to Sheraton after Maghrib.
All candidates were "locked" in the hotel, ensuring that they will not be missing and stay supporting the coalition, while hundreds of media were already there.

I was lucky. To get to see what was happening, the process, and then the history.
It was a few times that the PH Chairman and also the PM candidate, Tun Dr Mahathir called to have some words with us.

There are also computers and screens, showing current results in the war room.
Live from Election Commissions office alternately broadcasted. But it never satisfies the nerve wracking crowd.

PH had to rely on their own data channelling by each and every polling stations.

Every time each station announce their results, PH secretariat record them.

I can't forget the moment. About 1am of May 10. That night...

I saw Shamsul, Dr M special officer rushing out of the hall, and suddenly re-enters the crowd with full equipped armies - four to six of them with submachine gun, securing the main hall.

A friend, who is also a lawyer, told me that the IGP - inspector general of police, has instructed PDRM to secure and lock down the building. No one is allowed to enter or leave this hotel.

They are safeguarding Dr Mahathir, as police intelligence had been informed that this coalition would form the government. Dr Mahathir, is the PM candidate to be sworn in.

"They must make sure that he is safe from now," he said.

(Goosebumps)

Then, it is only at about 2am, when the head secretariat jumps onto the stage, reading the results of every state that PH has won.

He also added the Warisan seats into the results, and announce that PH has managed to secure about 118 seats (can't recall, oh ya I was told not to record anything at that time) more than 50% of 111.

I was still sceptical and waiting for the EC broadcast.

I also cannot recall when is the EC announcement was made, which stating that no parties get a majority hence will have to wait for the King endorsement.

But just minutes after the head secretariat words, media, who has been waiting at two floors down since day, was called for the grand PC.

Dr Mahathir and other leaders announce and claim that they have secured the majority of the seats.

Meanwhile, at PWTC, we were informed that the BN leaders, who supposed to hold PC that night, has left the centre, one after another.

I could feel that the change is real. But still, a formal announcement is something that is needed for verification. 

However, after the historical PC, many of the journalists celebrated. Perhaps only a few did not.

 But for me, Alifah and Afif, we just express our gratitude. The change is real, and we could see with our own eyes that night.

Dr Mahathir announces two days of leave for Malaysians on the following day. So, we are going to start work on Monday, 14 May.

I return home at 4am, riding my 8 years old bike from PJ, with a totally different air, as what I was thinking in the 24 hours before. 

Now, the ballot box has shown the result. All has been settled. The sworn-in ceremony would take place accordingly.

It was a refreshing day next morning. I took my lovely wife with her 37weeks belly tummy for breakfast. 

As we drove home, Mr Azlan called.

"Kau dekat mana? Tun ada PC dekat Sheraton, 11 tghri"
"Saya dekat KL. Alamak" its 20 minutes to reach the hotel, and I am wearing sandals. He texted me earlier btw but as I was driving, hence did not bother the message.

I did not want to go but my wife was so eager to be part of history too, I guess.
She insisted. 

So we went. I managed to update our twitter group on what was happening. So technically I worked.

My colleague, Dashveen was also there joining the PC.

My wife? a pic with Tun Siti will do for her.
"Gambar dengan Tun M? Dah tak sama.bukan macam dulu"

So she got with Tun Siti, even then I was told to make it fast by her aide.


At the PC, Dr Mahathir told us that he still did not manage to meet the King in the morning. So he will do so this afternoon.

Since I was considered as working that day, I follow the flow of the event until the day concluded. At the Pintu 3 Istana Negara, few friends were there to join the crowd that afternoon. 

Hoping that the King will consent Dr Mahathir and the PH government. Friends and the hardcore people like Abdul Muhaimin and Mr Najieb Mokhtar were there.

Hudreds of Malaysians waited, sang Negaraku, and daulat Tuanku, as well as Hidup Tun till late afternoon. Hoping to see the seventh PM sworn as a symbol of the people's voice. 

Rumour was, the King did not want to consent him as the next PM.

As I was informed that a PC will be held at Sheraton again at 7.30pm, I did not wait for Dr Mahathir to leave the palace.

Many press were waiting at Sheraton. Some of them did not leave the hall since yesterday. As I arrived, We were made to know that Dr Mahathir is swearing in that night, and it will be telecasted by RTM.

All of us watched the historic ceremony online.

We did not know that his motorcade got blocked by a mob, that wanted to say Hidup Tun and Terima Kasih Tun right after he left the palace gate.

So, only an about an hour later,about 11pm I guess, Dr Mahathir, guarded by his securities,  arrived at Sheraton with full black of Baju Melayu. 

This time, Malaysians, it's finally over. We changed the government, the PM has sworn in. Its time to work for a better Malaysia.

I would give 100% support and time for Tun and his government, to rebuild this nation.

Two days after, I received a call, an offer to me on Sunday evening, 13 May which I would have to pack immediately should I accept it. Apparently, I turned it down. I know it would be once in a lifetime opps, but I cannot leave my wife, and soon to birth son for this.

In the next morning, while colleague resumes working, I entered another long tiring day - the paternity leaves, two days before Ramadhan the holy month. A good friend calmed me, said:

 "Dua'... this is the best time to.. He hears".

I couldn't hold back my tears. 

~ Because life is a test




-PHOTOS AND CAPTIONS-
28 April 2018 - nomination day. Img from Instagram. SMK Sg Pusu, Parliament Gombak
 Caption: "Awkward.."
Me, Remy, Alifah and Sha, 8 May 2018, Secret Recipe, Mont Kiara.
Img by Shahira
Obviously, she crossed the right boxes
(9 May 2018, Morning at SMK Bandar Rinching, Semenyih) 
With the right lady, champion!
(10 May 2018, Sheraton PJ) 

















Afif, Alifah, Afiq, the triple-A from TMR 
(about 3am at Sheraton Hotel, PJ, post Dr Mahathir PC. Img by Alifah)

Meanwhile, behind the scenes, other friends, subs, and THE EDITORS. 

(Img by Mr ZBO, the boss - the man with the hat)



P1S1 by P Prem Kumar on the next day(Today, 15 May 2019 will be his last day at TMR. Such an experience and inspired writer. Departing for a better career path)


A year later, PICC.
(Img by one of the Journalist, sorry I can't remember who. Thanks for the great shot tho and share in the KL Media Group)



Said Dr Mahathir, the country still needs time to recover. It is in progress.


What a year...







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

G7 [Politik]

The Road I Took

Prerogative Powers